American Heroes

American Heroes
My son in Iraq, the one in the middle - I am so proud of him!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Item #15 - Web 2.0, Library 2.0 & the Future

I read the discussion on the above. The "icebergs" were interesting. Things are changing rapidly, & this was a major topic in library school. How can libraries stay relevant? Do we keep print "just in case"? Are we ready for "user education"? And - "Coming to us" may be a thing of the past. Well - - - I am going to look at this from the public library viewpoint, & the viewpoint of a branch rather than the "Main" library. Large amounts of "just in case" print materials may be an area that could be decreased. Print reference material in a branch does not seem to be widely used. This might be an area to downsize as more and more reference databases come online. However, I have been scolded many times (in a friendly way - usually) that we do not have enough copies of certain novels (think little old ladies and bookclubs). I am of the mind that print fiction is not going away. The "Harry Potter" phenomena is a classic example of this - as is every new (& I use the word new lightly) novel by Danielle Steel. I am also of the opinion that the library should have classic literature as well. So, keep the fiction and browsable non-fiction in the branches, & the heavier reference material online & at the main branch. As for, "user education", we fall down here I think. This 2.0 exercise is good for us just for this reason. However, the "user education" I see needed most in our system is basic computer classes. The public continually requests such classes. Our area is an aging population. NE Ohio has lost a lot of the younger residents because of the area job market. As a community library, we should remember this and temper our "technolust". Access is another issue that I do believe we are dealing with. We have reached out to the community with our web page, SearchOh, 24/7, electronic books, wifi (I think it's working or will be soon), etc. A small thing that would meet our population's needs is to do away with the PIN. It is a barrier to the older patron, and thus to access. But, I am rambling - - - I think we need balance. The new technology is great, and a wonderful tool (but count me out of the "SecondLife" crowd - my 1st life is enough). As professionals we should know how to use it, and be willing to educate those that don't. It is our job. When you come right down to it - the main ingredient in our jobs is customer service - no matter the customer. Gee! I feel like I'm back in school. Enough, I have to move on to Item #16 - Thanks for listening.

No comments: